Monday 1 February 2016

Setsubun!

It's February! 


image from google


I actually love February...
and I have to admit it is because of Valentine's Day! I was always a fan of the day even when I was single. I am a sucker for pink things, hearts, and of course chocolates! I love all the Valentine's Day merch stores pump out. Heart shaped everything please! The sad part is I don't see much of that in Japan. Valentine's Day in Japan is a little bit different. 

the first honmei choco I ever made for Tamito!

Simply put, it is a day for girls to make/give chocolates to the guy she likes! Boyfriends, husbands, crushes etc. This type of chocolate is called "honmei choco" (本命チョコ - literally "true feelings chocolate"). There are also chocolates called "giri choco" (義理チョコ- literally "obligation chocolate") that women give to male co-workers, friends, etc. There is zero pressure on the men to give or plan anything for Valentine's Day. That comes on March 14, which is White Day. On White Day, men return the favour by buying candy, chocolates and presents for the girl! 

My attempt at honmei choco :P
T <3 V :P

Valentine's Day isn't the only holiday Japan celebrates in February! On February 3rd, Japan celebrates a day called Setsubun!( 節分)


Setsubun

image from google


Setsubun means "seasonal division" and falls before the first day of spring in Japan (yup, the first day of spring here is in February!)  

Japan celebrates New Years Eve and New Years Day on December 31st and January 1st. Setsubun is associated with the Lunar New Year. It is considered a time for fresh beginnings and a time for a sort of spiritual cleansing. The idea of Setsubun is to cleanse away any evil energy left over from the year before and to keep away disease-bringing evil spirits for the year to come.


How To Keep Away a Demon

image from google


So how do you keep away evil spirits? I'm so glad you asked...

The special ritual used during Setsubun is called "mamemaki" and this means "bean scattering". That's right! On Setsubun we scatter beans!

On the evening of Setsubun many people take roasted soy beans inside and outside their homes while saying "fuku wa uchi, oni wa soto!" (福は内、鬼はそと! - in with good fortune, out with the devil/demon). Sometimes families have someone wear an oni (demon) mask and pretend to be the oni while the children chase them out by throwing soy beans at them! In other areas of Japan, people throw peanuts instead of soy beans.  

image from google

The soy beans symbolically purify the home and bring in good luck for the year while driving away negative energy, bad luck and illness. On Setsubun it is also considered good fortune to eat soybeans, one for each year of your life. Some people also say to eat one extra for good luck!

Most people will do this ritual in their homes but many people will also visit shrines or temples where this is done. Shinto shrines and Buddhists temples across Japan hold Setsubun celebrations. 

My soy beans!

Kansai Edition   

 

As you all know, I live in Osaka Prefecture. Osaka is located in the Kansai region (check out my first post comparing Kansai and Kanto here! ) Kansai has it's own unique addition to Setsubun. Along with soybeans my boyfriend and I eat uncut "makizushi" called "ehō-maki" (恵方巻 - lucky direction role). 

our eho-maki from last year!

 We eat eho-maki while facing this year's lucky direction. The lucky direction (e.g. north east, north north west, etc.) is determined by the zodiac symbol of the year. While eating you can close your eyes and pray/wish for things like good health, success in business, things like that. 

Eho-maki usually made with cucumber, shiitake mushrooms, seasoned baked eggs, teriyaki eel, sweet fish flakes and kanpyo rolled in seaweed, representing the seven gods of happiness. It is yummy but last year I made the mistake of eating mine after dinner and had trouble finishing it! Definitely will have to make sure  I don't make the same rookie mistake this year... 




While the practice of eating eho-maki is originally from Kansai, thanks to promotion from convienience stores it has now spread to many different parts of Japan. My boyfriend is from Kyushu but he has memories of eating eho-maki as well!


Sharing Traditions 


While I have been eating soy beans on February 3rd since my first year in Japan, last year was the first time I did Setsubun with everything included. It was fun and I love sharing traditions and culture with my boyfriend. It is fun to take nostaligic celebrations like Christmas, New Years and Setsubun and create new memories together. Plus after Setsubun, last year was one of the most blessed years of my life. Coincidence? I'll let you decide as I get my soy beans ready for this year's celebrations!


image from google






2 comments:

  1. I've seen the eho-maki advertised in conbini down here in Okinawa too and was wondering what they were for!
    I really should go out and buy some soybeans for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It is a fun celebration! I am a big fan of anything that cleanses and gets rid of bad energy, even if it's all in my head lol :P And it's always nice to experience a little slice of another culture :)

      Delete